Both could improve your home’s value and saleability significantly, even if it means sacrificing a small bedroom entirely. Speak to a local estate agent for an idea of what your home will be worth after any work is done. If you’re looking for a “safe” color, gray has been trending in recent years, Norris says.
- “Homeowners sheltering in place during peak COVID regulations developed a renewed interest in their backyards, really, as an extension of their home.”
- Anderson measures demand based on searches for home improvement service projects on Porch.com.
- In preparation for the installation of the PVC trim, I just want to make sure that I …
- Apart from the benefits listed above, there are other things you should consider before doing a cash-out refinance.
- Instead, pack a powerful punch with one piece of large-scale art on a wall in your living room.
For an impactful weekend update, swap out the surface of your kitchen island. Give outdated floors a refresh with our step-by-step guide to painting and stenciling ceramic tile. All you need are a few basic supplies and a free weekend to totally transform the look of a laundry room, bathroom or anywhere in your home that’s plagued by old or dirty tile. You can do it all for less than $50 and with no special equipment.
Raise an Adjustable Entry Door Threshold
If you have a few worn/discolored areas on the hardwoods, touch them up yourself with a little water-based stain to make them less noticeable. And don’t forget about the charm of a nice throw rug when needed. If you’re up for a little sweat equity, roll up your sleeves and remove anything dead yourself. Just follow the directions for planting, and keep it watered and mowed.
Home improvements and insurance
You can look online for modern inspiration or hit the store yourself to mix and match. No matter what you’re aiming for, home improvement is a valuable way to invest back into your space. You might also be able to find local grants to help with things like insulating your home from Simple Energy Advice. If your home is in need of repair, your landlord might also be responsible for doing them. Reasonable and practical, given the age of your home and the condition it’s in.
Samantha is an editor who covers all topics home-related including home improvement and repair. She edited home repair and design content at websites like The Spruce and HomeAdvisor. She also has hosted videos on DIY home tips and solutions and launched multiple home improvement review boards staffed with licensed pros. Get expert advice on your home, design tips, how much to pay for pros and hiring experts, delivered to you daily.